Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> starter / ignition wiring help, need to install relay and switch
machina
post Jan 25 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

OK,

Had hot start problem and need to install starter relay to help.

Also want to get rid of ignition key/switch and use momentary on switch on the dash.

So what wires go where?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 22)
andys
post Jan 26 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE (gaz914 @ Jan 25 2005, 02:12 PM)
To make it more reliable, overcome the hot start issue and to allow you to use any sort of switch as a starter button, I strongly suggest a relay be added to the circuit.

I normally use a standard square "bosch" relay, although anything will do really.

(IMG:http://home.exetel.com.au/gaz914net/Images/StartButton_Relay.jpg)

Last night was the first time I got a good look at the starter on my '75, and found exactly this type of relay installed. The Bosch relay got me to think that perhaps this is a factory install......So if it's not stock on the '75, then the PO must have installed it.

With regard to that Ford solenoid; I think that the earlier version of the one pictured actually has a manual button on it as well (anyone remember these?). On an early Ford (these were used on nearly everything), it was mounted on the firewall. With the button manual actuation, it made bumping the starter a dream. Agree, they are bullet proof!!

Andy
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 26 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

With the button manual actuation, it made bumping the starter a dream. Agree, they are bullet proof!!

the buttons are for wimps....I prefer the 2 screwdriver method to activate the relay (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

did that a few months ago to a co-workers '65 stang.....they just stood in awe that I could start his car that way...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 26 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Damn...I going try a 6v next time, thanks!

I think I heard about the 6v before and just forgot about it. Didn't know about the button though.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
With this if you wanted a remote starter all you have to do is run a wire, mount a starter button in the engine bay and put it to 12v.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:40 AM